Google

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring Cleaning went to the dogs!

Dog fabric postcards

I started off innocently clearing out my file cabinet. You know, the annual pitch and purge of files and the like. (I'm SUCH a liar! I only purge files when I can't possibly squeeze another bit of paper inside!)

Down deep under the section marked PETS I find years of dog and cat licenses - some with the tags still attached from pets that were indoors only and didn't wear collars.

My thrifty artist side came out - what could I do with these??

Remembering the Pet Postcard Project from last year - I stitched up a couple of dog postcards.

Quite a few bits of thrift used here: The white textured background is cut from Tante Erna's old tablecloth (now beyond saving from stains and the like), obviously the pet tag embellishments are from my file purge, the fusible webbing used was culled from an estate sale donation, and the backing fabric a donation from a friend. (Doh! you can't see it in this picture - it's a novelty print of cats)

Dog hand carved stamp

I was quite fond of the silhouette I stitched in free motion embroidery - and had a go at a hand carved stamp from the same image.

That took the better part of an hour pleasantly sitting outside on the back patio. (Spring in Florida - can't be beat!)

Dog postcards - fabric and paper

So interesting to see how the silhouette morphed from its stitched version to a quite cartoon-like version in a stamped image!

What did I get up  to next? Some horrendously bad watercolor experiments on my stamped image. Somehow I don't think I'll be sharing those photos!

Good news! Quilt Festival in Houston, TX will again be holding the Pet Postcard Project fundraiser. There's still plenty of time to make some to donate. Keep an eye on Pokey Bolton's blog for deadline information.


Thanks for stopping by!


Linking up with:
  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie - I love your print block, he has such a cheeky grin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great piece and I also love the stamp you made, what is it carved out of?? Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Love to read your comments - whether on vintage thrifting or creative stitching!! (Comments are moderated due to high spam lately - sorry!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails