Google

Thursday, May 30, 2013

She's done! Giraffe pillow project in two days


 Well, what do you think? 

She came out great, eh?



Last time you saw her she was pinned to death on the blocking board straightening out the twist she'd gained by the mystery stitcher V.G. in 1979.



The poor thing'd been rolled up ever since  - languishing about unfinished until I plucked her from the thrift store for $3.


Once removed from the nails I was glad to see she only needed one blocking effort,
then it was off to JoAnn's to find a fabric.
This ginger pattern is a Waverly patio fabric- and very slippery and fray prone to handle.
(The buttons came from my stash)

trimming away the crusty tape edges



I've added a 2.5" border all around and top stitched it for extra security.



The back I split and added button holes.
[Another first for me on this machine - using the automatic buttonholer that uses the button to size the holes. EASY!!]

(snort - I down play all the decision making I did here - where to split the back, which pattern section to align, how to space the buttons, vertical or horizontal button holes, how to finish the fraying edges, etc, etc, etc)


I pop in a pillow form ...
et Voila (imagine an accent over the 'a' in voila - I think it's supposed to have one)
One finished pillow!



Isn't she lovely!

Now let's name her - suggestions?

Thanks for stopping by!


Sharing with:

Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo

 

5 comments:

  1. Yes, she turned out great! I like your fabric choice and how you finished it with the buttons. Hmmmm, a name, because I notice her beautiful eyes I first thought of Betty but not sure that is a suitable giraffe name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is loverly!

    (And I just got a new sewing machine that does that buttonhole thing too, and used it for the first time this week and turned out perfect the first time!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful and you did a wonderful job with the fabric and backing. I'm still trying to name the counted cross stitch giraffe my daughter made for me about 10 years ago so I'm no help..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea. I recently got rid of all the crewel pictures that I had made in the 70s and 80s. It never occurred to me to make something from them. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so cool! How brilliant to reclaim something and make such a modern looking cushion! The fabric you chose is perfect too!
    Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Love to read your comments - whether on vintage thrifting or creative stitching!! (Comments are moderated due to high spam lately - sorry!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails