Google

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Newbie quilter learning curve strikes again!

Scrappy leftover blocks

Good morning! It's just after 8 a.m. and I've been in the studio for an hour now.

I'm stopping for a light breakfast and a pondering...

You see, I never used to understand when quilters would talk about leftover blocks from their projects.
Why would anyone make blocks they weren't going to use?

Coffee, banana, carrot cake muffin

Now I can understand sample blocks - where you test out a design or colorway - but multiples of the same block? Couldn't figure out why you'd have leftovers.

And you know where this is going, don't you!


On the right - my block made this morning, on the left - my previously made blocks in Bonnie Hunters Scrappy Trip quilt method.

What could be the problem? They're different sizes! A scant 1/4" all the way around smaller is my block from this morning.

Troubleshooting mode begins:

unequal seam allowances

Hmmm - look at those seam allowances - not matching at all - too small on the left, just right on the right.

On the left I used my trusty blue painters tape seam guide, on the right I sewed using a 1/4" machine foot.

Looks like I'd been sewing a too scant 1/4" all along! Sheesh. So my 5 blocks are all oversized.

And now, I have leftover blocks. I must be a real quilter now!

1/4" machine foot
Never fear - I will reuse those leftover blocks in some new creation.
(But what's knocking around in my head is another binder cover!)

Right - have a good day everyone - I'm off to reset my project ticker...

As always,
Thanks for stopping by,
See you next time!


Sharing this week with: (click to explore!)

Stitch by Stitch WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha welcome to the club! ( many left overblocks in my cupboard! )
    LOL
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you caught the culprit! I have quite the pile myself. Oh well, next project:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Love to read your comments - whether on vintage thrifting or creative stitching!! (Comments are moderated due to high spam lately - sorry!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails